Mut Kalesi




Mut Kalesi  

The Byzantine fortress of Mut Kalesi was built in the 14th century by the Caramanids (a Turkish principality that ruled this part of the country from the 13th century until its demise in 1468).



The area around the present town of Mut has probably been inhabited since the time of the Hittites and was then part of ancient Cilicia. At the time of the Roman Empire the town of Mut was called Claudiopolis. The Romans were followed by the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia. In the 13th century followed the Turkish Karamanids who had founded the principality of Karaman.



The fortress occupies the highest point of the city and is located about 200 meters south of the through road D 715 from Karamanmaraş to Silifke. It consists of two courtyards. The surrounding walls, partly built of Roman ashlars, follow the terrain. They are interrupted at irregular intervals by bastions, most of which are rectangular, but also hexagonal or round. The north-western side of the enclosure leads along a rocky outcrop to the valley of the river Mut Çayı . Two gates lead into the larger, lower Osthof, which was presumably intended as a residential quarter, one into the Westhof. At the highest point of this courtyard is a free-standing, three-storey donjon built by the Caramanids. One of the eastern gates bears a Caramanid building inscription. The two gates of the Osthof were built as portals in Ottoman times. The dividing wall between the two courtyards has been largely destroyed, the outer walls and the tower have been partially restored.

The square around the fortified tower is used today by the mostly local population as a lookout and restaurant.

Photos: @chim, Monika P.    
Translation aid:    
Source: Wikipedia and others