Simena, today Kaleköy  

On the remains of the ancient Lycian city of Simena is the village of Kaleköy (Turkish for "castle village"), which can still only be reached on foot or by boat.


Ancient building remains  

Some grave inscriptions and coin finds indicate that the place already existed in the 4th century BC. In ancient times Simena belonged together with Aperlai, Apollonia and Isinda to the Lycian League, but had never gained more importance. Only a few ruins from antiquity have survived. Remains of the Titus baths lie in the water today.
Also the necropolis with mostly Roman sarcophagi in the Lycian style has partly sunk. A single sarcophagus protrudes freely from the water, the remains of sunken paths can be seen around it.


The Sunken Sarcophagus  

Above the village rises a medieval crusader castle. It was built on ancient foundations by the Knights of St John, who ruled Rhodes until 1522. The castle walls with their dovetail battlements are well preserved.


The little Theatre  



Further up, a small Lycian theatre is carved into the rock. Seven rows of seats offered space for approx. 300 people.




Today's Kaleköy lies on the Lycian Trail. From Üçagiz the trail leads through rather rough terrain to Kaleköy. But most visitors come to Kaleköy by boat. Boat tours are offered from Üçagiz, Kaş and Andriake.

Photos: @chim    
Translation aid:    
Source: Wikipedia and others